Sunday 11 January 2015

GressenHall

A few weeks ago, Norfolk had some Heritage Open days meaning certain places which usually charged admission were open for free. There was loads of places I would have liked to have visited but I just didn’t have the time off. One of the places involved in the open days was Gressenhall Farm and Workhouse. Gressenhall is a 50 acre site with a museum, historic workhouse, farm and a great day out. The main buildings were built in 1777 and you can learn a lot about how things used to be here.



There are some lovely gardens here, they also have a little cottage set up to look how it would have been back in the day.





One of my favourite places here at Gressenhall is the set-up shop. I just love looking at the really old packaging, and find it really interesting. They also had a post office too!







I also love the 1950’s room, filled with retro and vintage items from the 50’s including recipe books, and even a photo album filled with old photos and memories.







Of course, I had to try on one of the hats!


We then looked around the upper part of the museum and saw some really cool and interesting things from different eras.


This doll really creeped me out! I can’t imagine having one of these when I was younger.


I was drawn to this picture as it looks a bit like my sister when she was younger. Spooky!




This story was a bit strange, I’m not sure what to think of it, but the alleyway this sign was down was pretty eerie.


We then took a walk outside through the orchard which interestingly used to be a burial ground.



After that we went for a snack. The café was located in what used to be the itch ward, which was a bit odd. I didn’t get itchy thankfully! I had a coconut flapjack which was really good.



After lunch we popped over to the farm which is across the road from the main museum. There’s a really nice walk here with lots of animals to see. You can also have a ride on horse and carriage and a tractor, but we opted to walk.











Overall, I think Gressenhall is a great day out for people of all ages and really interesting. You can check out their website here. I’d love to hear your recommendations for other places to go on days out! 


SHARE:

1 comment

© UK Lifestyle and Beauty Blog. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig